International Legal Firm
As part of an on-going process of integration and culture change following a merger, coupled with desire for continuing individual development of partners, this programme covered coaching for partners in an international law firm.
To date, this has involved all seven Alliance Coaches variously in one-to-one coaching for over 50 individuals, together with 12 coaching workshops attended by 74 people. There have also been frequent reports back to the organisation about general themes and learning outcomes.
The Organisation was keen to make progress in the following areas:
- Post-merger integration
- Continuing individual development of partners
- Cultivating and developing a coaching culture
- Positively facing the challenges of the economic downturn
- Managing transition through the partnership track
Individual coaching topics were many and varied, but included some of the following themes:
- Adjusting style, moving from managing to leading people, reducing friction, by improving the quality and effectiveness of engagement
- Taking on major new responsibility for business development and delivery, gaining self-confidence, managing the team effectively
- Improving collaboration both within own practice and with other practices to increase client reach and business opportunities
- Leadership identity and ‘fit’ within firm
- Managing transition from pure delivery to incorporate more of a focus on team leadership and building the business
- Working out priorities and alignment between strengths and work aspirations
- Improving impact and adapting style
The coaching workshops focused on explaining and demonstrating some basic coaching skills, and allowed delegates to practice the skills and discuss with each other how they might be used.
- Uniformly positive reaction from individual clients
- Organisation coaching sponsor delighted
- Coaching budget preserved at a time when other training and development investment was being cut
- Ongoing collaboration with organisation to refine and improve the coaching service
A senior lawyer said that the firm would continue to invest in coaching with us even in economically challenging times – it is essential. It is making a huge difference to the development and effectiveness of partners and importantly to their positivity. The coaching is having a direct impact on partner ability to win work as well as to lead teams and to increase their contribution to the firm.
‘As a coaching group you are completely different to any coaches we have worked with before – whatever you do, it works, you have a significant impact.’Download this page as a PDF